The Minnesota United Methodist Churches are invited to come together and take on some intentional practices of being generous, hospitable, Spirit-led Christ-like missional people that surprise the world. Christianity is a surprising religion. It has changed the world in remarkable ways throughout history simply through Christians living out their faith. More recently, we’ve become afraid of a habituated Christianity, thinking that routines will rob our faith of its vitality. The net effect is that we’ve replaced the habits that surprise the world with habits that mimic the world-and both we and the world suffer for it.
This season of Lent, from Sunday, February 18th through Sunday, April 1st, we as a church community will be looking at the book “Surprise the World” by Michael Frost. This book will be tied into our sermons on Sunday mornings as well as made available for both individuals and groups to go through. Copies of the book will be in the back of the sanctuary on Sunday, February 18th for individuals to grab along with weekly discussion sheets and links to the online video discussions. If you are interested in being a part of a small group that goes through this book together, please contact the church office for more information. Weekly discussions and additional resources will be made available at the beginning of each week on our website, Facebook, and paper copies for pickup.
- Sunday at 10:15am at Church
- Monday at 11:30am at Church in the chapel
- Monday at 5:45pm at Church in the chapel
The series outline is:
- Week 1: A Surprising Faith, Rev. Cindy Gregorson
- Week 2: Bless, Rev. Cynthia Williams
- Week 3: Eat, Rev. Mark Miller
- Week 4: Listen, Rev. Susan Nienaber
- Week 5: Learn, Rev. Fred Vanderwerf
- Week 6: Sent, Rev. Dan Johnson
- Week 7: A Shared Faith, Rev. Ben Ingebretson
For more information, visit the link below: